Skip to main content

A SURPRISE AT EVERY TURN

My call to the Franciscan life in 2013 was completely unexpected, and since then it has been one surprise after another. In fact, Franciscanism does more than surprise me; it often turns my typical and conventional thinking on its head. The more I dive into the example and teachings of St. Francis and Clare, the more such challenges—sometimes unsettling, often delightful—I find.

Last year during Advent I spent some time each day reading St. Francis’ Admonitions, a set of 28 teachings from the saint collected by the early Franciscan movement. This passage stopped me in my tracks:

Consider, O human being, in what great excellence the Lord God has placed you, for He created and formed you to the image of His beloved Son according to the body and to His likeness according to the Spirit. And all creatures under heaven serve, know, and obey their Creator, each according to its own nature, better than you. (St. Francis of Assisi, Admonitions V)

The first part of this Admonition is beautiful and reassuring: God has honored me as a human being by giving me a spirit that is like His own and a body that has much in common with that of Jesus Christ (any two human beings share 99.6% of their DNA!).

The second part, however, is surprising: all other creatures serve, know, and obey God better than I do. That’s right: the cat who settles on my lap during my morning prayer time, giving herself an elaborate bath, is serving God better than I am. This idea turns conventional thinking upside down: other creatures are not lower than humans; in some ways they are higher. And why? Because they behave “each according to its own nature.” Just by being themselves, doing what God created them to do, other creatures are perfectly in tune with God’s will. As a human being, on the other hand, too often I betray my true self—the self that shares in God’s divine nature and the physical body of Christ—to go off in directions not in harmony with God’s will.

Thank you, St. Francis, for this reminder, which is at once startling, humbling, and encouraging---so very Franciscan.

Michele Dunne OFS

Michele Dunne is a Secular Franciscan and executive director of Franciscan Action Network.



Sources:

Francis of Assisi: Early Documents, Vol I, Regis J. Armstrong et al editors, New York: New City Press, 1999, p. 131

National Institutes of Health: Genetics by the Numbers, https://nigms.nih.gov/education/Inside-Life-Science/Pages/Genetics-by-the-Numbers.aspx#:~:text=99.6,changes%20lie%20in%20key%20genes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THEMES IN FRANCISCAN SPIRITUALITY

I have been an official Franciscan since 2001 when I joined my community- the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Heart. One part of Franciscan spirituality that deeply resonates with me is the wonder of the Incarnation. Francis was so amazed that the mighty God of the Universe would become a helpless infant. He contemplated the Incarnation throughout his life, but he could never get over his awe. God became humble; God chose to be human. The Humility of God is a Franciscan concept that sounds like a contradiction. But Francis was able to see the truth in this. Jesus came to earth as an infant born of a woman, like the rest of us humans. He was not born into privilege, in fact, very much the opposite. He wasn’t even born at home. He was born in another city, Joseph’s ancestral home. And why would God send His son to earth as a human? Because He loves us. Francis knew this. He knew that love is God and God is love. God’s love is the driving force of the universe. It is why there is a univ...

BE WHERE YOUR FEET ARE!

Be where your feet are! The first time I remember hearing this phrase, I was juggling many responsibilities and was struggling to keep my head above water. I immediately cringed as I realized that I was not being mindful. I was not recognizing the beauty of every moment or appreciating the reality that I/we are always in the presence of our God. Be where your feet are has become a mantra for me … a call to presence and prayer. This phrase leads me back to Saint Clare’s method of prayer and contemplation. In her second letter to Agnes of Prague, Clare suggests that one should “Gaze upon Christ, Consider Christ, Contemplate Christ, as you desire to Imitate Christ.” What a powerful and challenging message this is! Be where your feet are! When I gaze, I am called to be mindful of the people and events that are happening around me. As I slow down to gaze, does that change my perception of what is important? Does gazing challenge how I spend my time, talent and treasure? Be where...

BUILDING A CARING COMMUNITY

Growing up, I always knew to respect my great aunt Sr. Deotilla who was a Franciscan Sister from Dubuque, Iowa.  My young thoughts of her were of how athletic she was and how she liked to pray the rosary.  I have been blessed with some of her prayer books and reflections of her commitment to God and the Franciscan way of life.  My older self sees her vision through her writings and her dedication to the Holy Trinity.  Sr. Deotilla was a devoted individual who put others before herself and believed in the power of prayer.   As I work at  Briar   Cliff  University, I reflect on the Franciscan Value of “Building a Caring Community”.  This Value has been dear to my heart from the very beginning of my social work career at  Briar   Cliff .  A sign of a caring community is when each person feels valued and respected.   Because of this Value, I try to be someone who values all life, and provides dignified care and leadership....