Skip to main content

THEMES IN FRANCISCAN SPIRITUALITY

I have been an official Franciscan since 2001 when I joined my community- the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Heart. One part of Franciscan spirituality that deeply resonates with me is the wonder of the Incarnation. Francis was so amazed that the mighty God of the Universe would become a helpless infant. He contemplated the Incarnation throughout his life, but he could never get over his awe. God became humble; God chose to be human. The Humility of God is a Franciscan concept that sounds like a contradiction. But Francis was able to see the truth in this. Jesus came to earth as an infant born of a woman, like the rest of us humans. He was not born into privilege, in fact, very much the opposite. He wasn’t even born at home. He was born in another city, Joseph’s ancestral home. And why would God send His son to earth as a human? Because He loves us. Francis knew this. He knew that love is God and God is love. God’s love is the driving force of the universe. It is why there is a universe. God created people and a place to send His Son. Christmas is the Feast of the Incarnation. Francis noticed that people had forgotten why Christmas is so special, so at Greccio, he recreated the birth of Jesus in 1223 with some live animals. The townspeople saw anew the wonder of baby Jesus.

Francis inspired the Nativity scene, which many of us put out at Christmas. My family always had a Nativity set out for Christmas, which I looked forward to helping put up every year. As a child, I connected with baby Jesus because I knew I had been a baby and knew my younger brothers as babies. Christmas always had a sense of wonder, a baby in a manger with His parents, animals and angels singing. Christmas is my favorite day. Later, I heard that Easter was the “most important” feast day because Jesus died to save us. I was sad because Christmas wasn’t as important, but it didn’t feel right to me. Later, with some Franciscan study, I realized that it wasn’t a contest. Christmas is important because of the Incarnation. God loves us so much that He became one of us, so we could experience God on our human level. God is not only an omnipotent, transcendent Being, Jesus became a human. Franciscan spirituality is one of joy. God loves each of us more than we can ever imagine. He loves us just as we are. If all of us lived as the Beloved of God that we are, imagine what a world it would be.

Sister Gayle Rusbasan, OSF
Campus Minister
University of St. Francis
Joliet, IL




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BE WHERE YOUR FEET ARE!

Be where your feet are! The first time I remember hearing this phrase, I was juggling many responsibilities and was struggling to keep my head above water. I immediately cringed as I realized that I was not being mindful. I was not recognizing the beauty of every moment or appreciating the reality that I/we are always in the presence of our God. Be where your feet are has become a mantra for me … a call to presence and prayer. This phrase leads me back to Saint Clare’s method of prayer and contemplation. In her second letter to Agnes of Prague, Clare suggests that one should “Gaze upon Christ, Consider Christ, Contemplate Christ, as you desire to Imitate Christ.” What a powerful and challenging message this is! Be where your feet are! When I gaze, I am called to be mindful of the people and events that are happening around me. As I slow down to gaze, does that change my perception of what is important? Does gazing challenge how I spend my time, talent and treasure? Be where...

BUILDING A CARING COMMUNITY

Growing up, I always knew to respect my great aunt Sr. Deotilla who was a Franciscan Sister from Dubuque, Iowa.  My young thoughts of her were of how athletic she was and how she liked to pray the rosary.  I have been blessed with some of her prayer books and reflections of her commitment to God and the Franciscan way of life.  My older self sees her vision through her writings and her dedication to the Holy Trinity.  Sr. Deotilla was a devoted individual who put others before herself and believed in the power of prayer.   As I work at  Briar   Cliff  University, I reflect on the Franciscan Value of “Building a Caring Community”.  This Value has been dear to my heart from the very beginning of my social work career at  Briar   Cliff .  A sign of a caring community is when each person feels valued and respected.   Because of this Value, I try to be someone who values all life, and provides dignified care and leadership....