Skip to main content

WITH FRANCISCAN GRATITUDE!

It is hard to believe we have already come to the end of October.  And what an incredible Reflection Series it has been for Franciscan Month!

We cannot thank enough everyone who contributed to this Series.  We are also grateful to those who subscribed, and anyone who commented on the wonderful depth and breath of the reflections.

Special thanks go to Timothy Nagy of our Office.  Without his outstanding coordination, the Series would not have been possible.

This Series has greatly assisted in moving forward the dream of October being designated as Franciscan Month.  Our vision includes national and local events in 2024, with global recognition in Assisi in 2026 for the commemoration of the 800th anniversary of Francis' reunion with God!

Looking forward to continue walking the Franciscan journey with you.  May you do so in God's Peace and Love!

Deus Meus et Omnia,

St. Francis College Office of Mission, Ministry and Interfaith Dialogue


Comments

  1. Thank you all for tuning in for this reflection series! If you have any feedback, please contact me at tnagy@sfc.edu. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THEMES IN FRANCISCAN SPIRITUALITY

I have been an official Franciscan since 2001 when I joined my community- the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Heart. One part of Franciscan spirituality that deeply resonates with me is the wonder of the Incarnation. Francis was so amazed that the mighty God of the Universe would become a helpless infant. He contemplated the Incarnation throughout his life, but he could never get over his awe. God became humble; God chose to be human. The Humility of God is a Franciscan concept that sounds like a contradiction. But Francis was able to see the truth in this. Jesus came to earth as an infant born of a woman, like the rest of us humans. He was not born into privilege, in fact, very much the opposite. He wasn’t even born at home. He was born in another city, Joseph’s ancestral home. And why would God send His son to earth as a human? Because He loves us. Francis knew this. He knew that love is God and God is love. God’s love is the driving force of the universe. It is why there is a univ...

BE WHERE YOUR FEET ARE!

Be where your feet are! The first time I remember hearing this phrase, I was juggling many responsibilities and was struggling to keep my head above water. I immediately cringed as I realized that I was not being mindful. I was not recognizing the beauty of every moment or appreciating the reality that I/we are always in the presence of our God. Be where your feet are has become a mantra for me … a call to presence and prayer. This phrase leads me back to Saint Clare’s method of prayer and contemplation. In her second letter to Agnes of Prague, Clare suggests that one should “Gaze upon Christ, Consider Christ, Contemplate Christ, as you desire to Imitate Christ.” What a powerful and challenging message this is! Be where your feet are! When I gaze, I am called to be mindful of the people and events that are happening around me. As I slow down to gaze, does that change my perception of what is important? Does gazing challenge how I spend my time, talent and treasure? Be where...

BUILDING A CARING COMMUNITY

Growing up, I always knew to respect my great aunt Sr. Deotilla who was a Franciscan Sister from Dubuque, Iowa.  My young thoughts of her were of how athletic she was and how she liked to pray the rosary.  I have been blessed with some of her prayer books and reflections of her commitment to God and the Franciscan way of life.  My older self sees her vision through her writings and her dedication to the Holy Trinity.  Sr. Deotilla was a devoted individual who put others before herself and believed in the power of prayer.   As I work at  Briar   Cliff  University, I reflect on the Franciscan Value of “Building a Caring Community”.  This Value has been dear to my heart from the very beginning of my social work career at  Briar   Cliff .  A sign of a caring community is when each person feels valued and respected.   Because of this Value, I try to be someone who values all life, and provides dignified care and leadership....