Skip to main content

800th ANNIVERSARY OF THE FIRST NATIVITY SCENE

When I was asked to write a reflection on Saint Francis and given the liberty to pick any Franciscan theme, my thoughts went immediately to Greccio and the story of the first Live Nativity Scene.

Saint Francis was first inspired by the idea of a live Nativity scene after visiting the historical place of Christ’s birth on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land – the humble stable in a Bethlehem cave.

Saint Francis stopped at Greccio (1223) because he wanted to contemplate the realness of the Incarnation, namely the simplicity, poverty and humility of the Son of God “who gave Himself for us with supreme and indescribable love” (I Celano)

Thus, the custom of having a Nativity Set in every home became a reality. I am certain that most families carry on this tradition today and this display in many cases has been handed down from generation to generation. Whether the display is most ornate, elaborate or very plain, the message that it brings is the Love of God giving us His Only begotten Son to redeem our world.

As Franciscans it is our mission to spread that message of love and redemption to everyone we meet. So this year as we celebrate the Eight Hundredth anniversary of the First Nativity Scene, let us make known to all the Love that Francis first showed us in 1223.

Brother David Anthony Migliorino, OSF, ‘73
Principal: Saint Anthony’s High School
South Huntington, New York


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THEMES IN FRANCISCAN SPIRITUALITY

I have been an official Franciscan since 2001 when I joined my community- the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Heart. One part of Franciscan spirituality that deeply resonates with me is the wonder of the Incarnation. Francis was so amazed that the mighty God of the Universe would become a helpless infant. He contemplated the Incarnation throughout his life, but he could never get over his awe. God became humble; God chose to be human. The Humility of God is a Franciscan concept that sounds like a contradiction. But Francis was able to see the truth in this. Jesus came to earth as an infant born of a woman, like the rest of us humans. He was not born into privilege, in fact, very much the opposite. He wasn’t even born at home. He was born in another city, Joseph’s ancestral home. And why would God send His son to earth as a human? Because He loves us. Francis knew this. He knew that love is God and God is love. God’s love is the driving force of the universe. It is why there is a univ...

BE WHERE YOUR FEET ARE!

Be where your feet are! The first time I remember hearing this phrase, I was juggling many responsibilities and was struggling to keep my head above water. I immediately cringed as I realized that I was not being mindful. I was not recognizing the beauty of every moment or appreciating the reality that I/we are always in the presence of our God. Be where your feet are has become a mantra for me … a call to presence and prayer. This phrase leads me back to Saint Clare’s method of prayer and contemplation. In her second letter to Agnes of Prague, Clare suggests that one should “Gaze upon Christ, Consider Christ, Contemplate Christ, as you desire to Imitate Christ.” What a powerful and challenging message this is! Be where your feet are! When I gaze, I am called to be mindful of the people and events that are happening around me. As I slow down to gaze, does that change my perception of what is important? Does gazing challenge how I spend my time, talent and treasure? Be where...

BUILDING A CARING COMMUNITY

Growing up, I always knew to respect my great aunt Sr. Deotilla who was a Franciscan Sister from Dubuque, Iowa.  My young thoughts of her were of how athletic she was and how she liked to pray the rosary.  I have been blessed with some of her prayer books and reflections of her commitment to God and the Franciscan way of life.  My older self sees her vision through her writings and her dedication to the Holy Trinity.  Sr. Deotilla was a devoted individual who put others before herself and believed in the power of prayer.   As I work at  Briar   Cliff  University, I reflect on the Franciscan Value of “Building a Caring Community”.  This Value has been dear to my heart from the very beginning of my social work career at  Briar   Cliff .  A sign of a caring community is when each person feels valued and respected.   Because of this Value, I try to be someone who values all life, and provides dignified care and leadership....