Skip to main content

BRINGING OUR VALUES TO LIFE: THE FRANCISCAN IMPETUS BEHIND A STUDIES IN SUSTAINABILITY MINOR

In 2022, Neumann University committed to develop and implement Pope Francis’ Laudato Si’ Action Plan for the next 7 years. The Laudato Si’ Action Plan is particularly important and aligns with our Neumann values of Reverence for all creation and Stewardship of resources. Moreover, the 7-year commitment aligns with the values and commitment of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia who sponsor our University.

One of the 7 goals of Laudato Si’ is ecological education. It is about “re-thinking and re-designing curricular and institutional reform in the spirit of integral ecology in order to foster ecological awareness and transformative action.” To promote this goal and to achieve one of Neumann’s Core learning outcomes “4.4 Demonstrate environmental awareness and stewardship,” developing and adding a Sustainability Minor appeared critically important.

The Studies in Sustainability Minor Program is intended to help students deepen and broaden their understanding of what sustainability is and why it is important. Students will acquire knowledge of how sustainability issues encompass various factors such as nature and environment, psychological and physical well-being, politics, and economy. Students will develop skills to think critically and consider moral dilemmas and social problems regarding sustainability and ecological challenges through a variety of courses. Our hope is that this minor will increase the awareness and knowledge of sustainability and related issues among our students and provide students opportunities to become effective and ethical leaders who care deeply about the environment and all creation.

Jim Kain
Professor of English
Neumann University



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THEMES IN FRANCISCAN SPIRITUALITY

I have been an official Franciscan since 2001 when I joined my community- the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Heart. One part of Franciscan spirituality that deeply resonates with me is the wonder of the Incarnation. Francis was so amazed that the mighty God of the Universe would become a helpless infant. He contemplated the Incarnation throughout his life, but he could never get over his awe. God became humble; God chose to be human. The Humility of God is a Franciscan concept that sounds like a contradiction. But Francis was able to see the truth in this. Jesus came to earth as an infant born of a woman, like the rest of us humans. He was not born into privilege, in fact, very much the opposite. He wasn’t even born at home. He was born in another city, Joseph’s ancestral home. And why would God send His son to earth as a human? Because He loves us. Francis knew this. He knew that love is God and God is love. God’s love is the driving force of the universe. It is why there is a univ...

BE WHERE YOUR FEET ARE!

Be where your feet are! The first time I remember hearing this phrase, I was juggling many responsibilities and was struggling to keep my head above water. I immediately cringed as I realized that I was not being mindful. I was not recognizing the beauty of every moment or appreciating the reality that I/we are always in the presence of our God. Be where your feet are has become a mantra for me … a call to presence and prayer. This phrase leads me back to Saint Clare’s method of prayer and contemplation. In her second letter to Agnes of Prague, Clare suggests that one should “Gaze upon Christ, Consider Christ, Contemplate Christ, as you desire to Imitate Christ.” What a powerful and challenging message this is! Be where your feet are! When I gaze, I am called to be mindful of the people and events that are happening around me. As I slow down to gaze, does that change my perception of what is important? Does gazing challenge how I spend my time, talent and treasure? Be where...

BUILDING A CARING COMMUNITY

Growing up, I always knew to respect my great aunt Sr. Deotilla who was a Franciscan Sister from Dubuque, Iowa.  My young thoughts of her were of how athletic she was and how she liked to pray the rosary.  I have been blessed with some of her prayer books and reflections of her commitment to God and the Franciscan way of life.  My older self sees her vision through her writings and her dedication to the Holy Trinity.  Sr. Deotilla was a devoted individual who put others before herself and believed in the power of prayer.   As I work at  Briar   Cliff  University, I reflect on the Franciscan Value of “Building a Caring Community”.  This Value has been dear to my heart from the very beginning of my social work career at  Briar   Cliff .  A sign of a caring community is when each person feels valued and respected.   Because of this Value, I try to be someone who values all life, and provides dignified care and leadership....